3 Trends That are on Their Way Out
The past year saw some major changes to the fashion landscape, from the rise of the wedge sneaker (literally!) to the popularization of prints to bringing color back to the runways in a big way in the form of neon. In preparation for New York Fashion Week next month, we decided to take a look at which of these trends aren’t faring so well going into 2013 so we can make room in our closets for some of what’s to come.
Neon took the fashion scene by storm during September of 2011, appearing in collections ranging from Jil Sander to Jason Wu to Nanette Lepore. This trend hit your closets in June and took off throughout midsummer. With a brief resurgence in November, it looks like neon might be trending down for 2013. It’s official - you can remove your shades now.
Tangerine Tango, the official Pantone of the year, started out strong in early June, peaking the week of June 18th. Appearing in Spring collections ranging from Derek Lam and Peter Som to Diane Von Furstenberg, this was a not-to-be-missed hue for the Spring season. Tangerine started to peter off in the Fall, though, and it looks like its sun might be setting, at least for this year. So clear your closets for Emerald, the Pantone of 2013!
That’s right, folks, the party’s winding down as the bracelet:outfit ratio has been on the decline since August. The art of wearing multiple pieces of wrist accouterments at once (as popularized by blogger Leandra Medine) is past its prime, and it’s time to make like Coco Chanel and take off at least one piece of jewelry before you leave the house.
So, what do you think? Are you surprised, angry, enlightened? Thoughts and laments are welcome and encouraged!
What’s trending: 10 styles you’re wearing right now
Where did the time go? Fall is already in full swing, which means it’s time to stock up on your fall essentials! To help you properly inventory your wardrobe, we’ve put together a round up of the top 10 clothing and accessory styles you were wearing last week.
1. Black boots, like this western-inspired pair from Dolce Vita, were the number 1 most worn item last week!
2. These black flats add a little flash and are perfect paired with jeans and a chunky sweater.
4. Black skinny jeans were at number 4, with black being the top trending color vs. the prior week. Looks like it’s back to dark colors for the season!
6. Silver is your metal of choice this season after gold dominated the summer. Add some bling with bracelets like this one by Alex and Ani.
7. Chunky rings made the top 10 list, also in silver!
8. The classic leather jacket is sure to be a staple this season. Pair it with skinny jeans and ankle boots for an edgy fall look.
9. Biker-style ankle boots are a trendy alternative when you’re looking for something warm that you can walk in!
10. Silver is trending all around, with silver necklaces finishing off the top 10.
How are you pairing this week’s most popular styles? Tell us in the comments!
Not pumps, nor flip flops, nor sneakers, nor sandals… you guessed it, last weekend the oxford was on the rise! Taking over a higher percentage of your closet than in prior weeks, oxfords are the perfect dapper duds to take you into the fall season.
So, what are you waiting for? I think it’s time we all went brogue…
To all of you who tweeted in the correct answer, we’ll notify the winner this evening!
Fall Wishlist with Caroline in the City
Summer is winding down, stores are stocking their shelves, and fall collections are out in full force! Before we stock up, though, we sat down with Caroline Knapp of Caroline in the City to get the low down on her fall wishlist! With her southern-girl-turned-New-Yorker style, she has the perfect on-trend recommendations if you feel like a splurge this season.
1. ASOS Spike Stretch Bracelet. Who doesn’t love a good piece of jewelry?
2. Old Navy Women’s Printed Polka Dot Scarves. Polka dots are going to be huge for fall, and it’s already the third most popular pattern in your closets!
4. Karen Walker Perfect Day Sunglasses. Sunglasses are in the top 10 of your wishlisted items, and these are perfect to take you into the fall season.
5. ASOS Multi Chain Rounded Collar Necklace. Jewelry is huge on your wishlist for fall, and this collar necklace is super on trend.
6. Burberry London Buckingham Trench Coat. Burberry is in your top 15 wish listed brands, and this coat is the perfect transitional piece.
7. Paige Denim Skyline Dark Skinny Jeans. Skinnies were your number 1 most worn pair of pants this summer! Time for a new pair?
9. 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Satchel. Shoulder bags are your number 2 most wishlisted item… what better time than now to buy??
I’ve now convinced myself to buy almost everything on this list. What’s on your wishlist for fall? Tell us in the comments! And keep ahead of Caroline’s favorite looks on her blog!
From the Blogs: 4 Ways to Wear Summer Colors this Fall
Summer is winding down, but this past week brought with it a spike in denim, neutrals, mint, and hot pink, showing that, even though it’s almost fall, you’re not quite ready to give up the summer color palette! And you’re not the only ones. These bloggers are also rocking some of summer’s hottest colors, even as it starts to cool off. Check out how they’re transitioning the best summer pantones into fall.
1. Minty Fresh
Helena of Brooklyn Blonde layers the perfect mint jacket over a summer dress.
2. Denim, denim, denim
Christine of My Style Pill opts for a long-sleeve chambray, perfect for the ambiguous end of August weather.
3. A flash of pink
Rachel of Pink Peonies pumps up her layers with a splash of color, in the form of this fabulous neon crossbody bag.
4. Stay neutral
Jules of Sincerely, Jules rocks the neutral trend, pumping it up with some fall wedge kicks and a splash of summer color.
Which summer trend are you most excited to take into fall? Tell us in the comments!
With so much summer style out there, we decided to reward some of the outfits we love by featuring an outfit of the week! This week, we’re loving this sassy summer ensemble from blogger Audrey Leighton of Be Frassy. This girl’s personal style is so fun and unique; this is definitely one closet we would love to raid! Skirts and tee’s have been trending in recent weeks, and we love how she’s paired them for a laid back but girly look. Be sure to keep up with her recent looks on her blog!
Style Spotlight: Maria of Moscow
This week’s featured style profile is Maria from Moscow! Her sleek, urban style is reflective of her big city roots, but she’s not afraid to spring for some color, especially in the middle of a Moscow winter.
She keeps her style casual by pairing street-chic black basics with pops of pastels. Love how she tones down these great leather pieces for summer by adding a hint of color!
Aren’t those cut-out Karl sandals to die for? Oh, and they’re on sale!